Tree Health & Safety
Tree Health & Safety
Trees provide us with many things, such as health and safety benefits. Leaves clean the air by filtering out carbon dioxide and harmful particles. They offer shade and cooler spaces to enjoy while spending time outside. Walking around in nature and surrounded by trees give a sense of calm. Trees can add a safety buffer between cars on the road and people walking, children playing, and just enjoying the community.
These are just some of the benefits of trees. To allow the trees to do all the good they do for us, keeping them healthy is important. As professionals in Pruning and Pest & Disease management, S&S TreeMasters are trained to help keep your trees healthy.
PRUNING & TRIMMING
For your own safety, and for the health and long life of your trees, S&S provides preventative measures, such as pruning and trimming. WE DO NOT RECOMMEND “TOPPING” TREES. This practice will open your trees to disease, and will significantly shorten their lifespan. Let us discuss alternative approaches.
Pruning involves the removal of dead, disease, or injured plant parts. Types of pruning:
- Crown Thinning is an important pruning procedure that removes smaller, weaker limbs from the tops of your trees. This allows more air and light to the branches below. This also relieves some of the weight from the top of the tree.
- Dead Pruning is the removing dead, dying, and diseased branches. This method removes dead and infected limbs which will allow your tree to heal along with boosting your curb appeal.
- Crown Reduction is used to clear branches from building, signs, and lights. Crown Reduction can reduces the height or spread of the canopy.
- Crown Lifting is the method of removing the lower branches of a tree to lift the height of the crown’s base. It is used to increase the clearance between the ground and lower branches. Crown Lifting lightens the weight of the crown and lets light pass through.
PEST & DISEASE MANAGEMENT
S&S provides a range of services designed to help prevent or manage tree pests and disease. Emerald Ash Borer is one such pest making quick inroads into the woodlands of the Tri-State area. Talk with us about this and other disease and pest management options to help improve and prolong the health of your trees.
TOP 10 INSECTS
There are hundreds of insects that damage stems, branches, roots, flower and fruit, and leaves in plants. But not all insects are damaging to plants; in fact, some are quite helpful. They can be predators to the harmful insects or they can be pollinators. S&S TreeMasters are trained to correctly identify these beneficial insects and mites and can devise effective management programs that protect landscape plants from serious damage while conserving beneficial organisms.
Top ten insect and arthropod pests that threaten or damage landscape plants in the Midwestern United States:
- Emerald Ash Borer
- Japanese Beetle
- Bark Beetles
- Other Leaf Beetles including Five-Spotted Hawk Moth
- Borers including European Corn Borer and Squash Vine Borer
- Blister Beetles
- Colorado Potato Beetle
- Corn Earworm
- Squash Bug
TOP 10 DISEASES
Diseases in trees and shrubs may be caused by microorganisms such as fungi and bacteria and by environmental stress such as drought, temperature extremes, and air pollution. Accurate diagnosis is needed to give effective treatment. S&S TreeMasters are trained to accurately diagnosis and treat diseases in trees and shrubs.
Top ten diseases that threaten or damage landscape plants in the Midwestern United States:
- Rust Diseases
- Phytophthora Root Rot
- Fire Blight
- Apple Scab
- Canker Disease
- Oak Wilt
- Black Spot
- Downey/Powdery Mildew
- Leaf Spot Diseases
Contact us today for more details on our expert tree services.